An OVERVIEW of CROSS COUNTRY in Tasmania
Cross country is one of the opportunities available to Tasmanian runners throughout winter; here we provide a brief overview to help get you started, but please see the websites below for more information. Note that TRR is a recreational running organisation, not an Athletics Club (which are governed by Athletics Tasmania) – and so TRR membership does not cover you for cross country events (you are required to join an Athletics Club).
Athletics Tasmania is the state-wide governing body for Athletics in Tasmania. Athletics South is the body that looks after the southern Tasmanian Clubs, but for information on statewide clubs and opportunities for involvement, go HERE.
What is cross country?
- A weekly timed run on Saturdays during winter
- Usually off-road
- Two distances to choose from (‘short’ or ‘long’ – usually 3 or 6k)
- Events start at 10am
- On arrival, register by writing your name, Club and event distance on a tag (that you carry with you, and hand over as you cross the finish line)
- Coffee and milo afterwards
Who can join?
- Anyone! It is ~$50 for the season, and $3 each week
- You can try one event without being registered with a Club, but then you need to choose one. Cross country is a relaxed and friendly event series – all abilities are welcome
Not sure? Come and try.
The first cross country is at Bellerive Beach 10am (April 7, 2018). Turn up, run and chat to some of the Club members there (who will all have tents set up). You don’t need to register – just pay the $3 and write ‘unattached’ on your registration card instead of a Club. If you miss the first one, you can turn up to any to try.
Which Club should I join?
There are currently 5 Clubs in the Athletics South competition. You need to join a Club to be able to compete. Originally people joined Clubs based on location – but it doesn’t really matter. Once registered you are encouraged to wear club colours, and will be issued a bib number which you need to wear each week. The Clubs are:
- Tasmanian Masters Athletics (tasmastersathletics.org.au – for people over 30)
- Northern Suburbs Athletic Club (www.nsac.org.au)
- Old Virgilians Association (www.ovasouthernsaints.com)
- Sandy Bay Harrier Club (www.sbhc.org.au)
- Eastern Suburbs Athletic Club (easternsuburbs.org.au)
- University of Tasmania Athletics Club (facebook.com/UTASAthleticsClub) (do NOT need to be University student / staff).
For a full list of Clubs, please visit: http://www.tasathletics.org.au/Clubs/Club-Directory
- SOUTHERN TASMANIA 2018 calendar HERE: AS_Winter_Card_2018
- NORTHERN TASMANIA 2018 calendar: Northern cross country 2018
- NORTH-WEST (PCCCT) 2018 calendar: http://www.pccct.org/wp/?page_id=22
Can anyone train at the Domain Athletic Centre (Hobart)?
YES, but you need to pay a track fee of $55 per year:
For more information: